Library Facility Use Policy
The facilities of the Seldovia Public Library are available for public gatherings of a non–profit, cultural or educational character when the Library is not being used for its primary purpose: library-related activities. Use of the Library must take place in a responsible manner, without cost to the Library or its Board of Directors, and without interference with Library activity.
The Seldovia Public Library follows the American Library Association’s (ALA) guidelines (http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/statementspols/otherpolicies/guidelinesdevelo pmentimplementation) regarding access to library facilities. Our meeting rooms are made available, on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
Permission to use Library facilities does not constitute endorsement of the beliefs or ideas expressed by organizations or individuals using the facility by the Library or its staff. Meetings will not be publicized in a manner that suggests Library sponsorship or affiliation.
- All meetings must be free.
- All meetings must be open to the public, except scheduled video conferences that fall under HIPAA or other legal privacy protections will comply with such confidentiality requirements.
Members of the public must be invited and encouraged to attend by the sponsoring agency. Organizations that may wish to restrict or limit public comments during all or part of their meetings or programs should announce these restrictions at the beginning of the meeting and should in no way interfere with the public’s ability to attend, observe or listen to the program.
- Fund raising events are not permitted unless participated in by the Library.
- Meetings planned by a company or individual to promote, advertise or lead to the sale of a product or service are not permitted, nor are employee orientation and union programs. Training programs open to the public are allowable.
- Reservations must be made from any group wishing to use the library facilities.
- Organized groups of children are welcome to use the room, but application must be made by an adult and adult supervision of the group must be maintained at all times. The Library does not endorse the suitability of any event for any child, and the Library encourages parents to make such determinations and so instruct their children.
- The Library Board of Directors reserves the right to review any or all applications and may demand sufficient time to make proper investigation before granting approval.
- Use of Library facilities may be denied any groups or individuals who damage Library furnishings or materials, or who disrupt Library services.
- Items available for use are listed on our Available Items List.
The following are examples of the types of events are permitted in the Library:
- Public education programs sponsored by a government agency or non–profit organization
- Programs of special interest, such as collectors or hobbyists
The following are examples of the types of events are NOT permitted in the Library:
- Private social events such as family reunions or wedding receptions
- Direct market sales meetings and fundraisers
- Meetings that are limited to private membership such as company training or union meetings.
Fees and Liabilities
- The Library charges no fees for use of the meeting room; however, groups with fifteen or more attendees may be assessed a $20.00 refundable deposit.
- Payment shall be made for any damage to or loss of Library property, and a fee for janitorial service may be assessed if the room is not left in the condition in which it was found.
- The Library is not liable for injuries to people or damage to property of organizations using the room.
Guidelines for Library Use
- Library programs take precedence over other activities.
- The general library space will comfortably hold groups up to around 30; the Conference Room is limited to about 15 people.
- Only light refreshments and no alcoholic beverages may be served. Library must be left free of crumbs, waste, etc.
- Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the building.
- Building restrooms are the responsibility of the City of Seldovia and their use is subject to any restrictions the city might place upon them.
- Arrangement for keys must be made with the library director at least 24 hours in advance.
- The Library does not provide seating or other furniture in excess of what is already in the Library. Event organizers are responsible for providing and removing at the meeting conclusion any additional furniture or seating brought into the Library.
- Each group using the Library is responsible for setting up the room and returning it to its original condition. This includes returning the furniture to the arrangement found and replacing any displays moved for the meeting. Use of the Library computers is subject to the standard Library policy. The Library must be reimbursed for any copying or printing done at the library. Library phones are available for incoming conference calls, however, the Library does not provide long distance phone service.
- Lights inside and outside the Library are to be turned off at the conclusion of the meeting.
- The room is to be vacated by 10:00 p.m. except with special permission from the Library director.
- The Library is unable to provide storage space for groups using the room; therefore, no food, beverages or personal items may be left in the meeting room.
- Library keys used for meetings will be returned to the Library Director within one week of the meeting date.
Reservations and Cancellations
- An application for the use of the meeting room must be made by a representative of the group and filed with the Library.
- Requests for the use of the room may be made to the Library Director at least two weeks prior to the meeting but no more than six months prior to the meeting date.
- Requests will be considered on first come, first served basis.
- Applicants will receive confirmation by email verifying date, time and acceptance of denial of request.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel prior meeting room reservations without notice in the event of emergency, such as snow closings or unsafe building conditions, or any conflict with the Library services schedule.
- Library staff should be notified as soon as possible if a meeting scheduled for the Library has been canceled.
- The name, address or phone number of the Seldovia Public Library may not be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization.
- The use of the meeting room by a non-Library group shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply Library sponsorship of the group’s activities.
- Copies of all publicity of events to be held in the meeting room should be made available to the Library.